2/1/10

DP. 30. Borja Bonaque.

Yes, I know I've already done one blog post today, but I meant to blog about this yesterday(i think), but I never got around to doing it, so I thought tonight would be the perfect night to catch up on some much needed blogging/inspiration.

This artist's name is Borja Bonaque. Get acquainted with his work.
He is a graphic designer from Spain. His work is a wonderful mesh of geometric, grunge, retro, classy. However, all his work may be amazing, but what I am going to focus on is his Duet Type typeface.
This is quite the exceptional piece of typography here. I have an appreciation for many different styles and types of design. But my one, true love is typography so I tend to be waayyyyyyyyy overly critical of type face choices on anything and everything. This, however, is quite wonderful, but that doesn't mean that I'm going to let it off easy. There are still some quirks about it that annoy me. First and foremost is that "I" and how it is the only letter that isn't technically uppercase. There are some weight balance issues in when the crossbar connects to the stem it gets a little wonky in weight when curving from thin outward. Though one thing that I much appreciate is that the "W" and the "M" are the exact same shape just rotated. It's a very calligraphic element of this typeface(if the harsh thin thin and bold thick thick wasn't calligraphic enough for you). I'm drawn to the very structured aspect to this font but yet it still has subtle fleur details. Curved edges and curly circles at the end of some of the strokes. Not too overly rigid.

sources: grain edit, borja bonaque.

No comments:

Post a Comment