12/7/09

VISCOM1; Final Evaluation

This entire semester has been a massive learning experience for myself. I have been pushed to think in a way that up until this year, I have been reluctant to do. I am not one to think philosophically, or abstractly. That is a gigantic hole in my thinking process. This semester has pushed how I think further than what I had pushed myself, or had been pushed by other people.

Project 1 was all about implementing the basic principles of design and how to be able to convey those principles the best way possible through simple circles. With that project it is was the beginning ideas of learning the principles of how to communicate different ideas. Finding ways and paths to do that the best. With the taxonomy, we had piles of marks, and the assignment was to find a way to classify those marks that we made and then find a way to be able to communicate the classification of those marks.

Looking back on that project and thinking about how it has effected my way of thinking, it is the same process. Taking what we have, this case it is marks on a page rather than dots, we have to figure out a way to communicate a classification of marks. Using the different types of placement, labeling, grouping, all to help with that process.

Project 2 was also about focusing on the relationship between different objects within the space and how to arrange them to have them work best within the space. This project though was working on larger objects, so much more about the juxtaposition of two+ images and how they interact in space how you planned them to, and how you did not plan them to. And even though you planned for them to work in one way, you also have to take into account how they interact unintentionally and how you can fix that or embrace that.

The taxonomy involved this aspect of design as well. The juxtaposition of marks against one another and how they interact within the given space. The unintentional shapes and relationships that were also created and to figure out how to handle those happenings.

This semester really has been an overload of information that I have been doing my best to take in and sort out and retain as successfully as possible. One piece that I will take with me into the spring semester is the thought process that I won't be able to grow much more without blogging TWICE or THREE times as much as what I am doing now. Blogging really helps with understanding of ideas and comprehension. Blogging helps me figure out what I'm trying to say, and better communicate across to the viewer what I am trying to say.


This was one of my first ideas for the first image of my haiku line. This was starting to take me to the realm that I needed to be in. Starting to get away from the actual object itself(here in case is a butterfly) and turning it into more about it's shape, and form. Moving away from what it actually looks like to what it represents. I still enjoy this sketch, but it still was not abstracted from the reality enough for it to work for what I needed, but it put me in the right track of where I was needing to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment